Tuesday, August 3, 2010

TACKLING OUR TOUGHEST CHALLENGES!

Every summer, through my continued learning, something is brought to my attention through a book that I read, a conference that I attended, et cetera, that will make me a better leader.

This summer there were several things that struck a cord with me, and challenged me to change my thinking, but there was one chapter within a book that I read, entitled, Fierce Conversations, by Susan Scott, that offered a tool that I feel will make future challenges that are brought to me on a nearly daily basis, easier.

Burnout is a fact of life, in the field of education. I don’t feel it yet, and refuse to let it bite me as I continue in this work. Burnout happens, according to Scott, because we are trying to solve the same problems over and over and over.

I was pressed to think of those most often recurring and pressing issues both personally and professionally. I started to reflect on how those problems/issues are brought to my attention by both students and teachers on a regular basis. To be honest, I love this part of my job, it is satisfying for me to help others solve the challenges that they face. That is one reason why I consider myself a leader, and one more reason why I love my job as an elementary principal.

I challenge you to think about how you might use this form within your school or organization, maybe even your personal life. Think about how you might use this with your teachers, colleagues, your students, or even your spouse. I hope to use this form within our Building Facilitator Team meetings. I feel that this will allow all struggles and challenges to be heard by each member of our leadership team, and we can collaboratively and collectively take a look at some pressing issues, and come to a consensus on the most fitting conclusion for us as an organization. I will also recommend that teachers use this format, when presenting more prevailing struggles to me individually as well.

PRESENTING THE ISSUE (Fierce Conversations, Scott)

THE ISSUE IS:

(Be concise. In one or two sentences, get to the heart of the problem. Is it a concern, challenge, opportunity, or recurring problem that is becoming more troublesome?)

IT IS SIGNIFICANT BECAUSE:

(What’s at stake? How does this affect dollars, income, people, products, services, customers, family, timing, the future, student learning, relationships, or other relevant factors? What is the future impact if the issue is not resolved?)

MY IDEAL OUTCOME IS:

(What specific results do I want?)

RELEVANT BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

(Summarize with bulleted points: How, when, why, and where did the issue start? Who are the key players? Which forces are at work? What is the issues current status?)

WHAT I HAVE DONE UP TO THIS POINT:

(What have I done so far? What options am I considering?)

THE HELP I WANT FROM THE GROUP IS:

(What results do I want from the group? For example, alternative solutions, confidence regarding the right decision, identification of consequences, where to find more information, critique of the current plan.)